Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Deer in the Park



I first came across this mural while riding my bike through the Washington/Jefferson Park last summer.  Now I always make a detour to view it whenever I’m in the area.  It’s located near 4th and Jefferson.  A little googling revealed that it was painted by Kari Johnston.  I haven’t learned when it was painted but I could find references to it as far back as February 2006.




Eugene’s murals often speak to strong environmental connections and concerns and this one is a good example of that ethos. 



On the back of the “Deer” pillar, Johnson encourages us to think.  That admonishment combined with the timeless gaze of the celestial deer is a powerful inducement.



This peaceful scene appears on the side of the mural.  The scale and nature of the dwellings in the painting show balanced relationship between people and nature.  Whether it’s a portrayal of our past or our future is left up to the viewer to decide.


This plea, prayer and an inducement all wrapped up in one, appears on the side of pillar. 


To me the Deer feels like a guardian spirit that looks out over the park, offering solace to all who fall within its gaze.  

No comments:

Post a Comment