Sunday, July 10, 2011

Base Coat

I moved to Eugene Oregon just about a year ago. I was looking for a community to join and a place to settle after a spell of traveling.  What I was hoping to find was a town big enough to have great music, art, culture and great food but not so big that it overwhelmed its inhabitants. I also wanted to move away from my car-centric way of living to a life scaled in human dimensions. To me this means being able to walk or ride my bike to most of my important places: farmers market, live music, theater, restaurants, art cinemas, yoga, tai chi and beautiful parks. I’d long heard great and wondrous things about the Northwest, and Eugene in particular enjoys a reputation for being one of the most bike friendly places in the country.

I am now living in Eugene, gratified to be in such a fine city but what does this have to do with murals?  Nothing and everything. I had heard a lot of cool things about Eugene before moving here but one thing I didn’t hear about were the many beautiful murals scattered throughout the town. Those are the unexpected gems that I’d like to show my appreciation and gratitude for, those unsung treasures. I’ve noticed that some of the murals have deteriorated a bit over the time I’ve been enjoying them. It is my hope that this project will help in the preservation and appreciation of these works of art.

The first mural of this project is located on 12th and High St; it's one of my personal favorites, a section of which I’ve chosen for the banner of this blog. It’s called Tuscany and was painted by Jim Evangelista, the founder of Reality Kitchen, an organization that teaches real world skills such as food prep, nutrition, workplace safety and budgeting to special needs adults.  Jim landed in Eugene with his family in 1992. They had traveled here in their converted school bus from Florida, arriving on the first day of the Oregon Country Fair. He got his first commission, the Tuscany mural, soon after his arrival.  


I love several things about this mural above and beyond that it's a lovely painting. I love that it’s so unexpected. You’re driving along 12th Ave, you happen to look right when it hits you hard and then it’s over in a flash. A good reason to walk or bike around downtown Eugene instead of driving.
Or you might be headed up High Street when you glance left and wham! - you’re magically transported to another time and another place.


I was lucky to find out who painted this mural and a little bit about the artist.  I don’t expect that will always be the case. If anyone reading this has any additional information or corrections, I hope you’ll take the time to use the comments feature of this blog to fill us all in.
Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Your blog helps me move through town with a greater presence of mind and stronger appreciation for this place I call home. I'm looking forward to additional entries, Dan, and yet another new way to stitch together -- or see -- Eugene. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the Tuscany mural that I painted in 1992....jeez, how'd you get the story about it and me ?...lol thanks ! www.realitykitchen.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. !!! ^ there he is. Awesome article. It took me several weeks to find out who painted this stunning mural. People in the building it's on don't even know! Sign your work Jim! I kno I'm not the only person who's almost crashed in traffic turning around to have a closer encounter with it :) I started my search two weeks ago and just got a phone call today. So now I'm on a mad internet search. Amazed at the lack of info out there being this mural has been up since the early 90's'' !! Crazy. I feel like I need to tag this post with key words so someone else can find it later: MONOCHROME MURAL EUGENE OREGON HIGH STREET 12TH STREET TUSCANY ITALLY STREET SCENE AMAZING JIM EVANGELISTA REALITY KITCHEN freakinLOVEit. Thank you for sharing Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ also here is a working link to Jim's non profit http://www.realitykitchen.org/donations.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. His ex-wife Donna Grant also worked on this mural and deserves at least 50% credit.

    ReplyDelete