Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Broadway Alley Mural

I love exploring Eugene, poking around side streets and Alleys. One of the cool things about wandering about Eugene on foot or by bike is the unexpected murals one is likely to stumble across.  Such is the case with this one located on Broadway Alley between Pearl and Oak Streets. 

How long has this couple stared out into the alleyway, perhaps for decades.  I couldn’t find out anything out about this mural.  




It’s certainly not recent but how old is hard to tell. It has the feel of the late 60’s or 70’s about it but so do a lot of things in this town.


3 comments:

  1. I am a fourth generation Eugenian/Oregonian and I remember this mural vividly from my childhood. It was larger and in better shape then than it is now. The restaurant this mural is painted on was called Old Town Pizza back in the 70's & 80's. You can see the company name in the floor tiles on the entrance walkway. Thanks for taking the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon,
    Thank you so much for filling us in on a little bit of history about this spot. It fun for me to try to picture it when it was a pizza place back in the 70’s. I’ll be sure to check out the entrance way floor tiles you mention next time I swing by there and that should be soon as it’s just a stones throw away from one of my favorite pizza places; Mezza Luna on Pearl St.
    Thanks,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received this note form an anonymous reader:

    "This mural is also by Jim Evangelista. He was my next door neighbor and painted these panels backstage in the movie theater where I worked downtown (the McDonald.) That little boy peeking out from behind the tree is his son."

    Wow, an early Jim Evangelista mural, wonderful! Thank you so much for filling us in this rich bit of local art history.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete